Monday, April 6, 2009

Earthquake?!

I'm alive!

I'm sure you were all losing sleep wondering if this awful earthquake was near me, but it was in fact 150 or so miles south of Florence. On my trip back from Sorrento on the bus last night we actually were near it, saw some bad weather but luckily didn't feel anything. From everything I've been reading and hearing, the earthquake sounded pretty bad. USA says it had a magnitude of 6.3, Italy swears it was 5.8. 50 reported dead with thousands injured, and many more expected to be found. 10-15,000 buildings were destroyed and thousands were left homeless.

This was a really bad earthquake! It never occurred to me that coming to study in Italy put me at a risk like this, rather eye opening. Berlusconi declared a state of emergency, but Florence seems to be functioning on par.

So this week is midterms, and then spring break! Stay tuned for the Sorrento/Capri/Positano/Pompeii entry and pictures (after I ace these midterms of course).

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment